5 Steps to Better Tests
Posted by Julie Delazyn
Creating fair, valid and reliable tests requires starting off right: with careful planning. Starting with that foundation, you will save time and effort while producing tests that yield trustworthy results.
Five essential steps for producing high-quality tests:
1. Plan: What elements must you consider before crafting the first question? How do you identify key content areas?
2. Create: How do you write items that increase the cognitive load, avoid bias and stereotyping?
3. Build: How should you build the test form and set accurate pass/ fail scores?
4. Deliver: What methods can be implemented to protect test content and discourage cheating?
5. Evaluate: How do you use item-, topic-, and test-level data to assess reliability and improve quality?